Last weekend's death of Osama Bin Laden marks the end (or new beginning) of Osama as an advertising icon.
For almost 10 years as the world's most wanted fugitive, Osama kept the world guessing as to his whereabouts. And his image was generally used to represent a nemesis or arch-enemy to the leaders of recent years.
Here are a few of the best (or possibly worst?) examples of Osama's legacy to the advertising world - while he was still alive. Please note these are in no particular order or ranking.
|"Osama", Samsung i450 Music Phone. |
Advertising Agency: Cheil Worldwide, New Delhi, India
- Apparently Samsung felt that Bin Laden (as well as President George W. Bush and other key political figures from the last decade) was a worthy candidate to show that Samsung can, "let music fill your head."
Having a hard time figuring out the music that Bin Laden fills his head with.
|ADESF, Advertising Agency: Neogama/BBH, Brazil|
- The "Association for Smoker Awareness" in Brazil predicts, "In 2066, Bin Laden will be caught", and then adds the tag, "Live to see it. Quit smoking now."
Out by about 55 years.
|"Bin Laden vs Bush", Sammy-400 OsteoarthritisTreatment,|
Advertising Agency: Sorento Healthcare Communications, India
- Another ad from the sub-continent. Here we have Bin Laden and President Bush as bone joints -when they, "rub each other the wrong way", the treatment soothes the pain.
A little too brain numbing for me.
|"Face 2", La Diaria, |
Advertising Agency: JWT, Montevideo, Uruguay
- This ad by JWT Montevideo for Uruguay newspaper, La Diaria, is a little more abstract than the others I found and consequently my favorite of these. It would be most effective as a poster over print for the contrasting difference in appearance from up close and afar.
The ad translated reads, "Reality is complex. To understand it, you have to keep some distance. La Diaria. The independent newspaper."
|Precision Laser Tattoo Removal|
Advertising Agency: MacLaren McCann, Canada
- A fairly recent ad only launched back in March, 2011 for Precision Laser Tattoo Removal in Toronto by MacLaren McCann. The title of the ad is, "Bin Laden is about to be assassinated."
They weren't far off the mark.